Another way to donate to the Prince Albert SPCA is by donating your time helping with the animals in our care. The support of our volunteer team is as important as any and there are dozens of different positions around the shelter that can use your help. Whether it is dog walking, playing with the cats there is a volunteer position for everyone 16 years or older!
We often need volunteer assistance in other areas. These positions have flexible schedules.
Website Design and Maintenance
Taking pictures of animals to post on our website
Putting up posters of shelter animals at various businesses.
Minimum age to volunteer is 12 years old, with varying age requirements as listed below.
Our main volunteer positions and duties are listed and described below. These positions generally require commitment to a weekly shift, totaling at least 10 hours per month. Please indicate your areas of interest.
- Greet guests and show them our facilities • Promote what the SPCA does
- Interact with the feline residents of our adoption center.
- Work with shy, skittish or under socialized cats to help make them healthy and happy and ultimately more adoptable.
- Build comfort levels and confidence of cats with human interaction.
- Assist potential adopters in meeting and interacting with cats.
- Interact with the canine residents of our adoption center
- Work with shy or skittish dogs to help make them healthy and happy and ultimately more adoptableTeach proper manners and behaviors
- Walk and play with dogs to help them get proper exercise (must be at least 16 years old to walk dogs)
- Assist potential adopters in meeting and interacting with dogs
- Supply a positive and nurturing environment for the animal in your care.
- Provide basic training.
- Resolve behavioral issues, e.g. shy or fearful animals, housebreaking, mouthing
- Animals in need of foster care are orphaned puppies/kittens, nursing or pregnant
- Moms, shy or fearful animals, recovering from illness, animals that have been at the shelter too long.
- Assist the kennel staff with cleaning, feeding, watering, and general care of the animals
- Help maintain healthy and attractive living areas so as to ensure a high quality of life for our animal care residents
The Prince Albert SPCA sincerely appreciates your interest in volunteering for our organization, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to confirm receipt of applications, or provide the status of the placement process. Please note that only candidates who are selected to participate in an interview process will be contacted. If you are interested in another volunteer position that is not currently posted, please keep checking back. Please also familiarize yourself with the general volunteer requirements below so that you are aware of some of the details before a position becomes available. As you can understand, our volunteer coordinator is a very busy person so please don’t try to contact us by phone. We will get in contact with you if and when we need to. Thank you!